Friday, January 3, 2014

Zu's Hungarian Ghoulash Casserole

Let there be meatballs! And noodles. And sour cream. And Cream of Celery soup. Yeah, you didn't see that one coming did you?

This is comfort food at its best. Egg noodles, cream sauce and made-from-scratch pork meatballs. A little baking action and then you're done.


I should tell you a little about my family. My husband, AKA Saint Craig, is the sweetest guy ever. And he L-O-V-E-S food. He also loves all his girls. All four of us. Hence, the "Saint" moniker and the apologies he hears everywhere we go. "Oh, you have THREE daughters? I'm so sorry."

Alexis is my oldest daughter. She's a Daddy's girl and L-O-V-E-S food too. Ashley, my middle daughter, is a budding chef. I bet she'll share with us some of her cupcake recipes this year. Addison is our youngest. She has food fixations. One week she'll eat only blueberries. Another only spaghetti. This week it's peanut butter. She normally looks at dinner with an evil eye if it doesn't contain her food of the week. We're trying to break her of this.

So the Hungarian Ghoulash was a hit. I didn't tweak the recipe at all. Mostly because it's Friday and I'm beat. The meatballs were very, very good. The noodles had a soothing element to them. The two older girls had seconds. The youngest wanted to know when dessert was. Hubby said it was a keeper.

The reviews:

Boy, you can really taste the Hungarians! -Hubby
Tasty yumminess! -Alexis
Dug the meatballs! -Ashley
I have a cookie now? - Addison

Rating: 8 thumbs up! (Alexis, Ashley, Craig - 2 thumbs each. Mommy & Addison 1 each.) I guessed for her, and I found it a bit bland.

Addison's star rating based on the following exchange:

Addison, do you like it?  No.
Do you want more? Yes.
Do you like it? Yes.
Do you want more? No.

Hence, 1 thumbs up for Addison.

Have a great weekend,

Zu

Recipe can be found on page 110 of Best-Loved Food of the 50s

No comments:

Post a Comment