Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review: NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Famous Fudge




Before we begin, you can get the recipe here:  Fudge Recipe  I've done my homework and it's all over the internet.  I think it's pretty safe to say the recipe has entered the public domain.

Wow!  I had high-hopes for this recipe.  It is a brainless, no-nonsense, easy as pie (although we all know pie is NOT easy), quickie fudge recipe.  The problem, however, is that you get exactly what you put in.  The final fudge product, beautiful to look at, is so sweet you may want to take a Silkwood Shower after you have tasted it.  The taste lingers for hours.

This is NOT a complex, deep rich chocolate for the chocolate connoisseur.  It is the type of fudge you give your kids if you want them bouncing off of the walls for the next six hours -- chase it with coffee, that will help.

In all seriousness, the resulting fudge is ultra-smooth, and my office taste-test yielded some varying degrees of likeability:  from "I love it, you see me licking my fingers, don't you?" to, "I think I'll save it for my son."  You get the picture.  While still protecting the innocent, I can tell you that the "finger-licker" was an attorney. Somebody's mom added: "Que rico!" Further, I will say not.

So, I've thought about how to fix this to my liking.  Maybe by adding some ginger, or nutmeg, or tabasco, something to get rid of the evaporated milk taste.  What do you think?  Leave me some comments.  Let me know.

Enjoy!

Alex

2 comments:

  1. Cream instead of evap milk; leave out marshmallows; use darker chips. Those are my initial suggestions. But I know nothing about traditional fudge, so I'd have to look at recipes side by side to see how much this would change it.

    ReplyDelete