Monday, January 6, 2014

The Stiletto! -- A Cocktail from the '50s

I hate big parties for New Year's Eve.  Well, truth be told, I really don't care for big parties at all.  I like small groups that stay around 6-10 people.  They are much easier to cook for, you can talk to everyone, and, as host, you can make sure everybody has a good time.  Fortunately for the husband and me, we had the best of all worlds for New Year's.  A small, intimate party, hosted by somebody else:  our good friends Rebecca and Jay!

Rebecca is a wonderful mixologist.  She can pour a stiff drink that wont hit you until it's too late for you to realize what you've done.  Well, she did me in on New Year's Eve.  "What can I get you?" She asked.  "Make me something sweet," I answered.   What happened then is still hazy, but I had one of the best drinks I've ever had - and the one drink gave me a buzz that lasted for hours.  Here's the recipe for the Stiletto.  Enjoy!

1 1/2 Cups Cracked Ice
6 Ounces Amaretto
3 Ounces Kentucky Bourbon
2 Ounces Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Simple Syrup
10 or 12 Ice Cubes
2 Lemon Peels

Fill cocktail shaker with the cracked ice and add Amaretto, Bourbon, Lemon and Simple Syrup.  Shake Vigorously to blend and chill.  Divide the ice cubes between two old-fashioned glasses.  Strain half the mixture into each glass.  Garnish with Lemon Peels.  Rub Peel round rim of glass then drop in!  Serves 2.

By the way, Rebecca inverted the recipe in the drink she gave to me, doubling the Bourbon and singling the Amaretto.  All I can say is WOW!

The recipe came from: Highballs and High Heels.  Click on the name if you want to purchase the book.

Enjoy!

Alex





No comments:

Post a Comment