Monday, January 27, 2014

Memories of a Cuban Kitchen: A Favorite Thing

I often describe myself as a good Cuban boy from Miami.  I don't know why.  I don't have the requisite jet black hair.  I don't have a discernible accent in English.  I don't follow baseball, eat seafood or follow the Dolphins football team. And the time I could describe myself as a boy evaporated a long time ago.  But the Cuban moniker will stick with me until way after I'm dead.  

First generation American (yes, my Latin-American friends, I know America is the entire continent, but you know what I mean), I grew up in South Florida constantly translating from English to Spanish and vice-versa for my parents and other relatives, navigating the waters in our adopted homeland.  Even though I left Miami over 20 years ago (and have no plans on returning) I carry Miami within me, and with it, that Cuban culture that was pounded into my head each time my parents took me to a Jose Marti parade or blasted La Cubanisima radio full-volume (along with the requisite Radio Reloj).  For this, I am thankful.  The Cuban culture influences every aspect of my life -- especially my cooking.  Enter, Memories of a Cuban Kitchen by Mary Urrutia Randelman, a solid cookbook of traditional Cuban recipes, interspersed with anecdotes from Randelman's life in pre-Castro Havana. 

Randleman includes traditional recipes like Carne con Papas (Cuban Beef Stew), Picadillo (Cuban Beef Hash), Tamal en Cazuela (Cornmeal Stew), Ropa Vieja (Old Clothes - Flank Steak Hash in Tomato Sauce).  Her presentation is straight forward, no nonsense and traditional.  She also includes some of the more exotic Cuban recipes like Arroz con Chorizo (Rice with Chorizo), Tasajo a la Cubana (Stir-Fried Dried Beef) and Ensalada de Garbanzos y Pulpo (Chick-Pea and Octopus Salad). In short, this is one of the most complete, thorough collections of Cuban recipes I have found.  Yes, traditional desserts are included too.  There's a Flan recipe in there too!

A word to the uninitiated.  Contrary to somewhat popular belief (every time I hear this I roll my eyes and clench my jaw) Cuban food is NOT generally spicy.  If that's what you are looking for, stay away from this book and look to traditional Indian cuisine.

You can pick up Memories of a Cuban Kitchen on Amazon.  The book has been out for a while, so it's available on paperback.

Enjoy!

--Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment