Saturday, January 18, 2014

Review: Chicken Tetrazzini

Our continuing retro adventure brings us to Chicken Tetrazzini.  A comfort casserole if ever there was one. With this one, this year's cooking bible, Best Loved Food of the '50s, does not stray from the customary or the bland.  Cooked chicken, salt, Cream of Mushroom Soup, cheese, bread crumbs, sherry and done. Nothing fancy.  In the book's defense, the Tetrazzini cooked up rather easily and was tasty (once I doubled the salt and cheese)

BLF50s seems to be in love with Cream of Mushroom soup.  It uses it as a base for nearly every casserole recipe.  When combined with the sherry, it turned a light purple which was a bit off-putting, but the color seemed to cook-off (or was it covered with bread crumbs?)

I know that '50s cooking was all about using new products (hence the canned mushroom soup) and expediency, but when it comes to taste, I don't believe in skimping.  So, I found a recipe that requires a bit of work, but is well-worth the effort, trust me.  Yes, you basically create the cream of mushroom from scratch, but hey, no pain, no gourmet!

Here's the link:  Gourmet Chicken Tetrazzini

By the way, if you don't want to buy rotisserie chicken, or make one yourself, I find that poached chicken works just as well in the Tetrazzini.  I also have a pretty fool-proof method of poaching.  Click on the link to see: How to Poach Chicken.

Have a Tetrazzini recipe you want to share?

Got some thoughts on your mind?  Let me know in the comments.

Enjoy!

--Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment