Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hungarian Goulash Casserole


When I first looked at the title: Hungarian Goulash Casserole, I was excited!  Love Goulash!  Love Casserole!

Sad to say, I was disappointed with the results.  Against my better judgment, I followed the directions on meatball preparation strictly -- the recipe called for browning in a skillet, rather than braising.  The result, meatballs that were dry.  Fortunately, although I did prepare them as directed, I ignored the seasoning recommendations and came up with a Hungarian Meatball that was very tasty! If you want the recipe, the link is below.

By the way, when using Paprika, the only thing that made this casserole "Hungarian" (as far as the book is concerned, LOL), I normally use a Paprika Paste that I find combines better with ingredients and brings out an earthy taste.  It's easy to prepare.  I've added a link below.

One last note, as I mentioned below, we do love Goulash, but this wasn't it.  There is a great recipe for Goulash that, if followed closely, will yield excellent, traditional results.  It's from Saveur (bow).  Link at the bottom of the page.



No comments:

Post a Comment